Table of Contents
How do I light the pilot on my old furnace?
Relight a Pilot Light
- Open the gas valve on the supply line and turn the gas control knob to PILOT.
- Push in the knob and hold it in.
- Push the ignite button repeatedly if the furnace has one.
- Keep pushing in the control knob for about 20 seconds after the pilot lights.
- Release the knob and make sure the flame stays on.
How do you turn on an old fireplace?
Igniting with a Fireplace Key
- Look over the user manual included with your fireplace.
- Remove your fireplace’s outer cover.
- Put a fireplace key into the device’s gas valve knob.
- Hold a long lighter up to the burner and ignite it.
- Turn the gas key.
- Replace the fireplace’s outer cover immediately.
How do you light a furnace without a pilot light?
If your furnace is equipped with an electronic igniter, you cannot light the furnace manually. However, you may be able to get the furnace working by turning off the igniter and resetting it. Find the paperwork for your particular furnace to locate the reset button or switch.
Do Newer furnaces have pilot lights?
Newer gas furnaces (since about 2010) do not have a traditional pilot light that burns all the time. Instead they use electronic ignition systems that light only as needed. Constant flame or “standing pilot” heating systems are still fairly common in older homes, and they can still be repaired in most cases.
How do I know if my furnace has a pilot light?
You’re probably familiar with a standing pilot light, the little blue flame that sits in front of one of the furnace burners. If your furnace has a small round knob on the gas valve with the words OFF/ON/PILOT, you have a standing pilot ignition.
How do you light a fireplace?
So lets start the fire!
- Ensure that all air vents in the fireplace are open. Put the logs on the bottom of the fireplace.
- Add a layer of small logs of about 4 cm, and then one or two layers of kindling. Remember that air is important – approx.
- Put a couple of firelighters on top of the layer of kindling wood.
- Light it!
Can you light a furnace with a lighter?
Use a long lighter to light the furnace pilot light. Once it’s got a flame, which can take about 30 seconds, you can release the reset button. Once the furnace pilot light has a steady flame, you can turn the switch on and adjust the thermostat to the desired temperature.
How can I tell if my furnace has a pilot light?
How do I light my furnace?
Once the gas has had time to dissipate, turn the knob to “Pilot.” Then, hold down the “Reset” button and bring the flame of a long lighter close to the pilot light opening. This should light the furnace pilot light. Once you are sure the pilot light is on, release your pressure on the reset button.
Is it easy to light a furnace?
Pilot lights go out for a variety of reasons, but in most cases, it’s a simple enough job to light them again. First, don’t be in a hurry when it comes to relighting the pilot flame. If you follow the furnace-specific instructions, you should be able to get the pilot light going again without too much difficulty.