Table of Contents
How do you use the word aboveboard?
An arrangement or deal that is aboveboard is legal and is being carried out openly and honestly. A person who is aboveboard is open and honest about what they are doing. His business dealings were aboveboard. If there was one thing she prided herself on, it was being open and aboveboard.
What does aboveboard mean in slang?
If something is aboveboard, it’s done in a completely honest, straightforward way. When a company’s business dealings are aboveboard, they act in an honorable, open manner.
Is aboveboard one word or two?
While the Oxford English Dictionary lists the spelling of above board as two separate words, but this open compound word is increasingly found as a hyphenated compound word as in above-board, or a closed compound word as in aboveboard.
How do you use above board in a sentence?
- The company expected the deal to be cleared above board and at the fastest pace possible.
- Don’t try to be tricky dear; we have to make this deal to be above board, totally.
- The deal between the two parties was completely open and above board.
How do you use far cry in a sentence?
a disappointing disparity.
- Life on a farm is a far cry from what I’ve been used to.
- This outback area is a far cry from the city’s concrete jungle.
- It was all a far cry from those halcyon days in 1990, when he won three tournaments on the European tour.
- This flat is a far cry from the house they had before.
How do you use blockhead in a sentence?
these words are used to express a low opinion of someone’s intelligence.
- That blockhead delivered the wrong box!
- There are blockheads among the critics too.
- He was rather a blockhead.
- I do not give way to blockhead!
- Arnold is a blockhead if I ever saw one.
What does bore down mean?
to indicate the importance of by centering attention on. Our manager bore down on the need to meet upcoming deadlines.
What does it mean to live above board?
If a plan or business agreement is above board, it is honest and not trying to deceive anyone: The deal was completely open and above board. Honesty, openness & sincerity.
What means afterbirth?
Afterbirth: The placenta and fetal membranes that are expelled from the uterus following the baby’s birth. Hence, the “afterbirth.” The placenta is what joins the mother and fetus. The fetal membranes – the chorion is the outer one and the amnion is the inner one – envelop the embryo and contain the amniotic fluid.
What is the meaning of the idiom the gift of the gab?
Meaning: Someone who has the ability to speak well. Example: Lawyers are often born with the gift of the gab.
Why do we say above board?
“Above board” first appeared in print, as far as is known, in the late 16th century, and the phrase originated in the world of gambling, in particular card games. To play “above board” was to keep your cards above the level of the playing table (as opposed to down in your lap) so as to avoid any suspicion of cheating.
How do you use children’s play in a sentence?
- If you practise enough, driving will eventually become child’s play.
- The hike that we did this weekend was child’s play.
- Figuring out the password to his account was child’s play.
- I do not know why you are all complaining about the exam.