Table of Contents
- 1 What document makes you legally married?
- 2 What are the requirements for a marriage license in New York?
- 3 What documents do you need to get married at the courthouse?
- 4 Do you need witnesses to get married in New York?
- 5 How long does it take to get marriage certificate in NY?
- 6 How much does a courthouse wedding cost?
- 7 Can you be legally separated and live in the same house in NY?
What document makes you legally married?
A marriage license is a government document an engaged couple must apply for and receive before they can be legally wed. Every US state has its own laws regulating who can get a marriage license.
What are the requirements for a marriage license in New York?
Marriage Requirements for New York, NY License:
- Both parties must appear at the office of the city or town clerk in person, together and at the same time to obtain a marriage license.
- Your photo identity documentation must be current and valid.
- Provide documentation of previous marriages.
- Decide on your surname.
What documents do you need to get married at the courthouse?
Courthouse wedding checklist
- Valid photo identification (i.e., passport, driver’s license, or other government-issued ID)
- End date and other details about previous marriages.
- Birth certificate.
- Proof of residency.
What is the difference between marriage certificate and marriage license?
A marriage license is a legal document obtained by a couple prior to marriage. Once the license is signed (during or after your ceremony) and returned by an officiant to the county, a marriage certificate is issued. A marriage license is what you get first, and it’s basically an application to be married.
What counts as proof of separation?
If you or parents (if dependent) are separated: Official documentation that you or parents (if dependent) permanently reside in separate residences: this must include official documents such as separate leases/mortgages statements, bank statements, driver’s license, and utility bills.
Do you need witnesses to get married in New York?
Marraige Ceremonies are available by appointment at nyc.gov/cupid. You and your prospective spouse must arrive together with the same proper identification you brought when you obtained your Marriage License. You and your prospective spouse must have at least one witness, who must be 18 years of age or over.
How long does it take to get marriage certificate in NY?
It can take anywhere from 1-6 weeks to get your Certificate of Marriage mailed to you. If you wish to speed up this process, one of you can go back to the clerks office (it doesn’t have to be both of you this time) and they will issue you your Certificate of Marriage instantly without any additional fees.
How much does a courthouse wedding cost?
The cost to get married at the courthouse is anywhere between $25 and $100. Make sure to call your local courthouse for exact fees. You will need to pay for the marriage license. In some cases, there is an additional fee for the civil ceremony itself.
What do you need for a marriage license?
To obtain a marriage license you need:
- Identification: a picture ID such as a driver’s license, state ID card, or valid passport; both parties will also have to provide their Social Security numbers, but do not need to provide their Social Security Cards.
- Fees: $93.50.
What is it called when you get married without a marriage license?
A commitment ceremony is defined as a marriage ceremony in which two people commit their lives to each other, but it isn’t legally binding. Commitment ceremonies mark the tradition from “dating” to “married.” Basically, it’s getting married without a marriage license.
Can you be legally separated and live in the same house in NY?
Also, if a couple sign a separation agreement, but live together afterwards, the law may still consider them separated. For example, in one case a couple lived in the same house for four years after signing a separation agreement.